I have been experimenting with OPOS and instant pot trying several dishes. OPOS has definitely shortened the time it takes to cook and everyday I am fascinated by the things I learn from OPOS. Beans paruppu Usili or beans lentil crumble is a delicacy of a South Indian feast and many people are intimidated in making this. But with the method I am sharing with you, one does not have to be scared of making paruppu usili. This dish is usually made with green beans, cluster beans, banana flowers and it is perfect combination for more kuzhambu.
- Green beans, washed, trimmed and finely chopped 2 cups
- 1/3 cup of channa dal
- 1/3 cup of toor dal
- 2 dried red chili
- 1/4 tsp as afoetida
- salt to taste
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp urad dal
- few curry leaves
Soak the chana dal, toor dal with dried red chili in water for about 30 mins. drain the water and grind it coarsely with some salt and asafoetida. set aside.
Instant Pot method:
- Turn the IP on.
- In the inner pot, add one tablespoon of water, the beans, 1/2 tsp salt.
- Keep the trivet in the middle.
- Transfer the ground dal paste to another vessel and keep it on top of the trivet
- Close the IP. press Manual/ pressure cook and set time for 0 mins with vent in sealing position
- Once the timer beeps, do a Quick Pressure release and and open the pot.
Pressure cooker/ OPOS method
- In a 2 litre pressure cooker, add a tbsp of water, chopped beans and spread the ground dal mixture on top of the beans. Cover the cooker, place the weight and turn the heat on.
- Cook for 2 whistles with the flame covering the base of the cooker.
- Release pressure manually and marvel at the green color of the beans.
The next step is common for both methods.
- In a pan, add the oil and do the tadka/ tempering with mustard seeds, urad dal and curry leaves.
- Crumble the cooked dal mixture and add it to the pan.
- Use the back of your spoon and crumble the mixture and roast in oil for 1-2 mins
- Add the cooked beans without any water and toss them well with the dal mixture.
- Add salt per taste.
- cook on low fire till the dal mixture is crispy. it make take about 7-10 mins
- Serve with rice, mor kozhambu, samabr or rasam
Let me know if you tried it and liked it.