Brussel sprouts is a vegetable that belongs to the cabbage family. It is low in calorie and great vegetable with lots of fiber. It supposedly also has a lot of cancer protective effects which are fully not know.
They look like tiny cabbage and are usually eaten steamed by the people outside India. When I first cooked them in UK, I cooked like a cabbage thoran/ poriyal with moong dal and coconut. I have always prepared it that way and my family likes it. I wanted to give a little twist and tried a masala version and trust me, it tastes so good.
You can add garlic or any other spices you want including peanuts and will make a great side dish to go with rice and chapathi.
So here is the recipe.
- Brussel sprouts 10- 12
- 1/2 of a large onion diced
- 1 tsp samabr podi
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp saunf powder / sombu podi ( optional)
- A pinch of amchoor powder ( optional)
- 1/4 tsp asafotida/ perungayam
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp urad dal
- a few curry leaves
- 2 inches ginger, peeled and cut
- 2 large Roma tomatoes chopped
- 1 large green chilli
- Wash the brussel sprouts well to remove any dirt. Quarter them lengthwise and set aside. While cutting, some of the leaves may fall out, but that is ok.
- Grind the tomatoes, ginger and green chilli to a puree and set aside.
- In a pan, add oil and do tadka with mustard seeds, urad dal, curry leaves, asafoetida and turmeric powder.
- Add the onions and saute` till they are translucent.
- Add the tomato puree and the powders ( sambar,coriander, saunf, amchoor) to the puree. Cover and cook till the raw smell of tomatoes are gone, about 5- 7 mins. Check your spices and add more spices as you need.
- Add the quartered sprouts, salt to taste and toss them well in the cooked tomato masala.
- Cover,reduce heat and cook by sprinkling water as needed till the sprouts are cooked. Don't over cook them, they should have a slight crunch to them.
- Once the sprouts are cooked, uncover the lid and cook stirring in between till the dish is little dry.
- Turn the heat off and serve.