The holiday season is here and I am getting tired of eating sweet things wherever I go. One of my associates brought a pack of chex mix, nuts for all the staff to much on. I tried that and was not impressed as it lacked any flavor or taste. I searched Google and found recipes for chex mix. Many of them called for Worcestershire sauce which had anchovies in them. Suddenly, it occurred to me why not make a desi version of chex mix. After all, we all grew up eating mixture, chivda etc and tried this masala chex mix. There is no actual recipe or measurements. The original recipe for chex mix calls for rice, corn and wheat chex. When I went shopping, I completely forgot to buy wheat chex.
Other things to add include, cheezits, cheerios, bugles etc.
Let us get to the mix now.
- 3 cups of rice chex
- 3 cups of corn chex
- 2 cups of pretzel sticks ( may use mini pretzel twists)
- 1 cup dry roasted unsalted peanuts ( can use almonds, mixed nuts, pottukadalai/ dalia dal)
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tsp oil
- Handful of curry leaves
- Chili powder
- Idli molagapodi
- 1/4 tsp hing/ asafetida
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- Take a big mixing bowl and add all the chex, pretzels, nuts
- In a pan, melt the butter, add the curry leaves
- Turn the heat off and add the spice powders except sugar
- Pour the butter mixture, sugar on the chex mix and toss well till all the butter and spices are well coated.
- Preheat over to 350 F
- In a baking dish add the chex mix and bake for 10-15 mins.