Bell peppers are every where in the supermarkets and here is a best way to make use of them. I have made this curry with no onion and garlic and using ingredients that was in my pantry that day. This curry has a rich gravy, not with cream or butter though! cashews/ almonds give a nice texture to this yummy curry. If you are using frozen paneer cubes, just soak them in hot water for few mins before adding it to the gravy. it makes them soft.
Give it a try and I am sure you and your family will like it. Did I tell you, it is super easy to make.
- Paneer cubes 1/2 cup
- Bell pepper 3 colors ( I used red, orange and green)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafetida/ hing
- 1 tsp Cumin powder
- 1 tsp Coriander pwder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp kasoori methi
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp oil
- cilantro for garnish
- water as needed
- 3 Roma tomatoes,chopped
- 1 red chilli ( i did not have green chili)
- 1tbsp grated ginger
- 1/3 cup cashews or sliced almonds soaked in water for few mins ( i had only almonds)
- 1/4 tsp khus khus/ poppy seeds (optional)
- Grind the ingredients under to grind and set aside
- In a pan, add oil. when hot add the cumin/ jeera and let it sizzle.
- Add the kassori methi, crushing the dry leaves in between your finger to the oil and saute for a few secs.
- Add the ground masala and saute till the raw smell goes, for a few secs.
- Add the turmeric powder, asafetida, red chilli powder, salt, and saute for few secs.
- Add the chopped bell pepper. Toss them all well.
- Reduce flame, cover, sprinkle some water and let it cook for about 5-7 mins. If it is too dry, add very little water. Add the cumin and coriander powder.
- When the bell pepper is partially cooked, add the paneer, Adjust salt, or heat as per taste. If you need more heat add chilli powder or garam masala optionally at that time.
- Add a little water as needed for the consistency of your gravy.
- Cover, simmer and cook for another 5-7 mins till the masala incorporates in the paneer.
- Turn the heat off. Garnish with cilantro and enjoy with chapathi/ poori/ pead pulao or any mixed vegetable rice.
I have not used any onion or garlic in this recipe. If you wish, you can add them and am sure it would taste wonderful.
Left overs tastes good with bread toast