Monday, May 31, 2010

Vegetable Pad Thai

This is a dsih that I've longed to eat! I used to drool when all my friends ordered thai food during residency. I never ate coz I knew there is a hidden fish or oyster sauce in that dish.
I have looked around for a pad thai recipie and found a couple pure vegeterian one. I modified it a little and came up with this one.





Of course, my thai friends may totally poo poo this version. But it's always better to start somewhere huh..?

What I used:

Thai rice noodles 1 pack
red onion 1/2 sliced
3-4 green chillies sliced
2 cloves of garlic sliced
1/4 cup shredded cabbage. ( did not have chinese cabbage)
1/4 cup snap peas
1/4 cup bean sprouts
1 egg
2-3 sprigs of green onions/ scallions
lots of cilantro
1/3 cup unsalted roasted peanuts coarsely crushed
3 tbsp oil

Pad thai sauce

4 tbsp tamarind paste
4 tbsp soy sauce
3 tbsp chilli sauce
3 tbsp jaggery ( i did not have brown sugar)
3/4 cup water.

Method:

1. Cook noodles according to packet instructions ( I used 1/2 of the noodles)

2. drain water and keep noodles aside.

3. Heat oil on high in a wok, if you have one. I did not have a wok so used a large saucepan. add the onion, garlic and green chillies and saute till theyare shinyand a anice aroma comes.

4. add the cabbage, snap peas and bean sprouts andsaute. add only a little salt as the soy sauce has some salt in it.

5. cook till the veggies are done, but crunchy too.

6. Push the vegetables to the side of the sauce pan.

7. add oil to the same pan and crack an egg. scramble it in the same sauce pan.

8. add half of the pad thai sauceand rice noodles.

9. gently toss them all around, making sure not to break up all the noodles.

10. add the remaining pad thai sauce and mix.

11. turn off the fire.

12.transfer to a platter. garnish with coarsely crushed peanuts, green onions and cilantro and serve.

My notes:

you can increase the chillies or the tanginess depending on your taste. you could also add some shredded carrots if you wanto !

Let me know if you have any other recipie for the same. Please do not forget to leave some comments!
:))

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For stopping by! Your comments are very valuable, so please leave your two cents!