Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Cilantro Celery Thogayal

I pretty much eat most vegetables. However, when it comes to celery, I keep my distance. I never buy it or try one from the huge veggie platters served at work parties.
My lovely neighbor who does not know about my love for celery gave me a bunch the other day. She says"I picked some from  farmers market and though you might like some".

You shud have seen the look on my face! But of course, I said" Oh, Thank you! How sweet of you.. blah.. blah..."

The poor old bunch was sitting in my fridge and stared at me like the money with googly eyes! Kept saying, pick me, pick me and use me! Of course my good friend Google helped me find this celery thokku from vegetable concoctions.
I was then inspired to make my celery thogayal.

People who stayed a mile away from Celery will be drawn to the wonderful taste of this thogayal. The spices made the taste of celery so subtle that I enjoyed it a lot.
I waanted to share this mouth watering recipie with you all.

As always the measurements can be modified according to your taste.

Cilantro Celery Thogayal.

Celery diced 1 cup
Cilantro chopped 1 cup
1 green chilli ( mine was a ripe one)
1 small piece of ginger
tamarind paste 2 tbsp
Hing a pinch

for tempering
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp mustard seeds
1 tsp Urad dal

Method:

1. Wash the celery pretty well. It is notorious to hide all that dirt inside

2. Heat oil in a pan. add the celery and cilantro and saute for 4- 5 mins. set aside.


3. In the same pan saute the green chilli and ginger for a few mins.



4. Grind the cilantro, celery, ginger, tamatind paste, hing and green chilli. add salt according to taste.



5. Heat oil in a pan. add the mustard seeds and let it splutter. Add the urad dal and fry till golden.

6. Add the ground mix and keep sauteing till the oil separates from the sides. This usually takes < 10 mins.



7. Why are you still reading this? Have a plate full of steaming rice, kootu and enjoy as I did!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks For stopping by! Your comments are very valuable, so please leave your two cents!